Laverton is a suburb in Melbourne, Victoria, 17 km south-west from Melbourne's CDD. Its Local Government Area are the Cities of Hobsons Bay and Wyndham. At the 2006 Census, Laverton had a population of 4508. It is both and industrial and residential area and was once part of the Laverton pastoral run, which was settled by Alfred Langhorne in 1836.
When sale of land in the suburb was promoted by Staples Wise and Company. The first station to be opened beyond Newport on the way to Geelong was Laverton Station, in the same year. Laverton Post Office opened on 9 April 1888.
There is a police station near the railway station.
1891: 156 people
1947: 390 (plus 525 in RAAF base)
During the 1950s a Housing Commission estate was established at Laverton. A second primary school was opened in 1955 following the construction of married quarters at the "Cabbage Patch" on the RAAF Base. By 1966 there were over 900 pupils at the school. Two more primary schools were opened in 1967 and 1969, and a high school was opened in 1967.
Laverton has a shopping centre near the railway station. There are parks with sports facilities on Skeleton Creek and on Laverton Creek.
(Information courtesy of Copyright © Monash University 1999 - All Rights Reserved and Wikipedia)