Little River is a town in Victoria, 51 km south-west from Melbourne's CBD.
Little River has headwaters in the nearby Brisbane Ranges. It was also know as the Cocoroc Rivulet, Cocoroc being a locality near the area. The road from Melbourne to Geelong once crossed the Little River and the Travellers Rest Inn was opened there in about 1839.
Primarily pastoral run's, the first occupier being James Simpson and later a large part of the district was included in the Chirnside estate. The post office opened on 1st February 1858.
In the vicinity of Mount Rothwell, near Little River, and ancient semi-curcular arrangement of rocks now known as Wurdi Youang was discovered and in 2011 described as an ancient sun observatory, possibly 10,000 years old.
Today, the township of Little River has a petrol station and post office, a primary school, kindergarten, a pub, a bed and breakfast, two playgrounds, train station, cricket ground and several churches. Visitors from Melbourne pass through the town on the way to the You Yangs Regional Park.
(Information courtesy of Wikipedia and related references)